Thursday, April 3, 2014

Chai Time





                                                      C for Chai-Shai 


So after two days of tradition talking, I thought I will get something hot and steamy for my post for today.

Well ..Well.. Well... I can see those eyes rolling and the naughty minds going on a trip ... But hold your horses (and nothing else *wink *wink), we are still talking Indian Weddings and one of the most crucial element of a successful wedding plan is to have uninterrupted and hassle free supply of a hot and steamy cup of Chai. (Chai (Tea) is the most popular hot beverage, specially in North India)

A lot happens over a cup of chai in the weddings. It can range from gossip, to matchmaking, to folk songs to controversies. Yes, you heard me right. Chai is a touchy topic, and everyone in India has his own way of making his cup of tea. And when such diverse tastes and preferences meet in a wedding, we are all set for a "masala chai " .. the only difference being that the masala is more around tea than in the tea.

A chai controversy can happen over anything, right from the time it was served, to the number of times its was served, from too less sugar to too much sugar, and the list goes on. This insight has come from close observation and experience. In my family my maternal and paternal sides are at the two ends of the spectrum when it comes to tea. One side loves brew tea with no sugar and few drops of milk and the other side wants milk,sugar and tea all in abundance with a few drops of water. So when it came to making both the parties happy with the chai arrangements, it was a big challenge. But as we were well prepared for this tiff well in advance, we had made separate arrangements for both kinds and no one had to compromise.

As someone wisely said

“A simple cup of tea is far from a simple matter.” 
― Mary Lou Heiss

Chai can be replaced by coffee in some places and cocktail in others, but the moot point is that this is one thing you cannot go wrong with, if you want your guests to leave the wedding with happy memories.

Read this post over a hot cuppa  chai....









Star Post for Day 3 ... In love with stories ..more so love stories..well there is one in making with lots of drama and emotions. Check out Srilakshmi's blog for her A to Z story.








23 comments:

  1. So much can happen over a chai/coffe/drinks na... and I'm Reading this over a cup of coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading this in my chai time now :P :D

    ~S(t)ri
    Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
    Smile, it makes (y)our day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes.. our arranged marriages begin with the girl entering the room with a tray of tea when the guy comes to 'see' her right??? :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww you brought back some nice wedding memories! :D *Time for my cup of chai/ and some office reading*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for you chai is mostly coffee...so enjoy it lady!!!

      Delete
  5. I am at home, down with fever and sipping chai as I read chai time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh Darl!!! take care and get well soon..April has no time for fever..and BTW chai is the apt healer

      Delete
  6. Interesting! I never would have dreamed that so much was hinged to tea. LOL Fun reading learning all about wedding traditions in your country. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you began :D Naughty girl ;) And I adore chai and wrote a whole post on it last month. You are so right when you talk about the different variants and how people like them! Marriage gossip and chai.. perfect picture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was to attract naughties like you shailja...I must catch on your chai post soon

      Delete
  8. Listen your posts are frigging awesome. And they are so cool! I love them :D Chai is the flavour of Indian culture always :D

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've made me really want a cup of chai right now! I think it's my favorite hot beverage, and I love how it varies so much depending on where you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh I don't quite like chai but I have seen chai being made so many times during weddings that I wonder what the fuss is really about? :) Enjoyed reading your post !

    Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chai pe bulana is a custom to see the girl in India :) I think chai loosens the tongues and lets the gossip flow freely, be it at the office canteens or weddings...lovely post yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A spicy and hot post like Masala Chai. Give me ma cuppa any day, doesn't matter how hot it is outside, love ma cuttting:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice. You reminded me I wanted a cup of coffee.It may not be chai, but in the spirit of the poast, I'll go get my cuppa:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice cup of chai can make everything better again! Nice post in honour of the great chai tradition of India :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, I can not live without my hot and steamy ... chai! Thanks for sharing additional (and to me: NEW) knowledge - Great post. C for chai - of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chai - my favourite drink. Can't start the day without my hot cup of chai.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes, a lot can happen over a cup of chai! This reminds me get up and make myself a cup too :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Activated my thirst now ! A lot happens over Tea n Coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey.. what a coincidence.. I wrote for Chai too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by...Your words are my treasure ...